Saturday, May 05, 2007

She Said-He said Our thoughts on First Friday

Warning: this could be long and emotional. You may need a tissue!!!!



As most of you know, Michael and I attend a monthly support group meeting called First Friday which was last night. The meetings are encouraging, and we have the greatest support!..


So, we met up with the Ladmans for dinner at Bahama Breeze before heading over to the Chapmans. Karens husband is home from an extended assignment and we finally got to meet him and it was wonderful.

We got there early and wandered around. I spotted a few new people so I said hello. A lady turned around wearing a blue shirt. I immediately got the chills. On the right hand corner of her shirt it said Owen T. Wheeler Foundation. I almost cried immediately. You see, I was Owens first night shift nurse after being diagnosed with a brain tumor. I took care of him every night I worked. Owen passed away New Years Eve 4 years ago. I attended Owens funeral and it was the second funeral I had ever attended. It was one of the most beautiful experiences. This lady is now a part of Owens family and it was nice to hear about them. Clearly this was the beginning of most emotional night.

During the evening, one of the professors from Kennesaw who is Chinese, played the Chinese violin (cant remember the name of of it) and sang some songs.

Next on the agenda, the announcement of a referral. Baby Laney will be joining her parents in a short time. Her picture was shared with everyone Jay and Angela video taped their referral call let me say that everyone had tears the entire time, even the men. I don't think that some of the daddies realized what actually happened when you get the call, so this was a great thing for our guys to see. I know that Michael really enjoyed it.

Next up, Rob from North Metro Church spoke for a few minutes. He is a daddy to 2 girls from China and teared up as he talked about their wait and journey and reminded is that this is our time to do great things. God is doing amazing things and we may not see what he's up to until we get home. But how wonderful to know that God is working on our perfect family and developing Michael and I to be the best parents we can be. What a testimony for us. It was God. Rob said every word I needed to hear and it was precious.

Next the man from Kennesaw got up ( were not expecting this) and thanked everyone here for loving the China babies. i wish I could remember everything he said but he ended with a song that talks about the beauty of a person..Another crying moment.

Seriously, if it wasn't obvious that God was a part of every moment, keep reading.

Another mom to be shared a picture with us. She is going to be getting a chid from the special needs list. Baby Shelby has a cleft lip and palate and will have the palate repaired here in Atlanta. I work with almost all the cleft lip/palate babies and was able to share my experiences as a nurse with her..It was wonderful to see relief on her face. I can not remember her name but I am praying for her..Shes in Disney now! Yeah!!!

We drove home and talked a bit before going to bed.

This morning, I went to the store and to a neighborhood garage sale. I was mostly looking for childrens books because a) I hear you can not have to many and b) they are stinkin cheap at garage sales. As I approached my last house, I spoke to the lady who also sells Mary Kay. I asked her where she was from and she Atlanta, right here, this is my house..I then asked her where her beautiful accent was from and she said Hong Kong. I explained what we were doing and tears started flowing and she said Thank You, Thank you!. YOu see, she herself, gave up a daughter and she herself worked in an orphanage. She speaks Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese and would like to teach Michael and I some words before we leave for China!

HOW GREAT IS MY GOD!!


Michaels Story:
As part of our adoption process, Amy and I attend a monthly support group with people ranging from those with questions about international adoption to those in the process and those who have completed their trips to China. They are held on the first Friday of each month.Tonight was the best one I have been to as we learned about another couple's experience getting the phone call with details of their "match." They videotaped the call from their agency with the director telling them about the baby, name, height, weight, physical exam, birth date, etc. They then were emailed their first picture of their baby and the parents with grandparents and other relatives all crowded around the computer to see baby Laney. I cried through most of it because I had no idea that a call like this would be part of the process and I was filled with a joy and excitement about the day this happens for us.Also, I finally got to meet a friend's husband. He is in the Army and has been in Kuwait for the past six months while she has been waiting for him and for their referal. We enjoyed dinner together before the meeting and he's a neat guy that we look forward to becoming close friends with.

My emotions are high and I am ready for this wait because I know God has something for Michael and I that I can not right now comprehend. For those also waiting, be encouraged. Our time will come. We are not missing out an anything right now. God is cooking up something thats going to be out of this world!!!! How exciting is that!!!!

22 comments:

Steffie B. said...

Hooray.....that is the best attitude to have! You are right about God planning something wonderful for you and Michael. We'll all get through this wait together.....because I am here to tell you....it is worth waiting every minute. Especially when your child God has chosen for you is placed in your arms for the very first time! ;)

TeaMouse said...

What an amazing experience. I have chills reading this, God was indeed present for you this evening.

Adoption is wonderful thing and it will bring you so much joy and happiness and make one girl's life so special!

Deb said...

Sounds like you had a great evening. I is the mest emotional experience you will ever go through in your life!!! There are many "ups" and there are many "downs"! Your faith will help you get through the "downs" and celebrate every "up" you can!!!
God bless you.

Le Butterfly said...

Great stuff.

Congratulations,

Briana's Mom said...

Wow - it sounds like you had the most wonderful and spiritual night. You both have so much to look forward too. You have the brightest future ahead!

Polar Bear said...

What a wonderful evening! Meeting the lady at the garage sale was amazing. That is just fantastic.

I just love the happiness you share in your posts.

Amy said...

Oh you guys...WOW! God is amazing and yes, you can see Him working throughout this process! This gives me chills. This only confirms once again that you are doing exactly what God wants! Thank you for sharing your heart!

Jeff and Stacey said...

Hi Amy,
Got your note on my blog. I like yours also. Linked you off of mine now, so I can follow along. That is so nice you have a great local support group. I see you are a Pediatric Nurse, I'm a nurse also, worked in ICU (adult) for a long time, but don't do patient care anymore. I'll e-mail you privately, we are thinking about special needs, but even for a nurse the medical checklist seems intimidating. Saw you have some experience with cleft lip/palate.

Stacey

wolframtech.cummings@att.net
http://thesadielady.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

The wait is so worth it. I found your blog through another. God does have a perfect plan for you and these children. I hope the wait decreases for all the waiting families. We were blessed and only had to wait 6 months after LID. I can't imagine how hard the wait is now. From reading some of the posts, it sounds like a bunch of wonderful women lifting one another up.
God Bless,
Lisa

Unknown said...

It was a wonderful night for us as well. What a gift!

I love the story about the lady at garage sale. That is incredible.

redmaryjanes said...

There Lord is all around you lighting your path. I am so happy that you have encountered so much support from the people around you.

Roy and Lori said...

WOW .... It sounds like you guys
had a very inspiring and wonderful
evening. God has a reason for this
long wait and everything will work
out for the best in his own perfect
timing!

Take care and enjoy your night guys!

4D said...

Sounds like a truly wonderful and emotional weekend.

Thank you for sharing your stories.

Keep smilin!

Daniella said...

What a great weekend! Glad you guys have such a great support system.

Unknown said...

I´m glad you´ve met so many encouraging people! I, too, am sure the God has wonderful plans with you!

And yes, I was in need of tissues!

Abby's Mom said...

What an amazing night you two had and part of what makes this journey so special!

Happy Nurses week :)

kitchu said...

I have GOOSEBUMPS. The good kind. What an awesome experience! And HOW amazing you happened to meet this Chinese woman. I'm in awe!

Tina said...

Love your blog. It's so inspiring to hear the wonderful things God has planned. Hang in there, our sweet girls will be home one day.

testglobaltraffic said...

nice blog

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

How very wonderful for you both! Many good things seem to be happening in your life. Best wishes for speed in all of your processes!

Roy and Lori said...

Hey guys,
Just stopped by to say hello!

Alyson and Ford said...

God Bless! Thanks for sharing.

Alyson